Nowadays, securing data is important for every single user. To make this data secure, the user takes many different ways to secure their data. One of the most popular ways to secure this data is ‘data encryption.
Amazon S3 encryption has many ways to make sure that the data is increased. In this article, we will discuss the S3 data encryption process in detail.
Encryption of data: What is the process of securing data? Why is it necessary?
Encryption is the process of encoding something, which may be data or information. Therefore, the data encryption process transforms data into an encoded format(from a readable version to a secured version).
It ensures that the data is safe, secured, and only the user authorized to access this encrypted data can use it. Nowadays, cyber-attacks are common, and to defend against those attacks, and data encryption is the user’s shield. Hence, cyber attackers and hackers will do nothing with those encrypted data.
What is the necessity of Amazon S3 encryption of data?
Amazon S3 encryption of data helps the user to encrypt the data to make it secure. In this process, encryption is done before storing the data in the storage space.
The user can decrypt the data anytime when there is any need to use those data.
What are the Possible Sides of S3 Encryption of Data?
Amazon S3 data encryption can be done in many ways. Those are as follows:
Server-Side Encryption(SSE) Method of Data
Among all the available methods of S3 encryption of data, the easiest and simple method is the Server Side Encryption method. In between the server-side and client-side, all the heavy encryption process of data is done on the server-side.
Before being stored in the cloud storage, the data is encrypted on the AWS(Amazon Web Server). Now the data is secure before storing in the AWS cloud storage. When the user needs those data, the server-side decrypts those data and sends them to the user.
This server Side Encryption has two types. Those are SSE-S3 and SSE-C.
- SSE-S3 encryption: In this Server Side Encryption of data, the key used to encrypt the data will belong to the AWS. Here, the user will not be able to encrypt or decrypt the data using the key. However, AWS will take full responsibility to make sure that the data of the user is protected.
- Customer Master Key in AWS KMS: In this type of server-side encryption, the Amazon Web Server will generate the key. This key will help to make sure the S3 encryption of the data is done properly. Amazon Web Server combines the S3 encryption of data and the Amazon Web Server Key Management System to provide proper security to the user’s encrypted data.
- SSE-C encryption: In this process of data encryption, the user holds the key instead of AWS. This key is essential to encrypt or decrypt data. Here the user needs to make sure that their key is secured. AWS does not have any responsibility here as the key only belongs to the user.
Client-side Encryption of Data
In this type of data encryption, the user needs to perform the data encryption procedure independently. Unlike the previous procedure of data encryption, AWS does not do anything.
Rather, the user needs to send the encrypted data to AWS for storage purposes. Like the previous data encryption method, this method is also of two types. Those are as follows:
- Server-Side Encryption Master Key Storage(SSE-MKS): This type of data encryption, the AWS, allows the user to store the Master Key on the AWS server. This kind of storage is done with the help of key management software provided by AWS. This Master Key is used to encrypt or decrypt the data of the user.
- Client-Side Encryption Master Key Storage(CSE-MKS): In this type of data encryption method, the user does not have the option to store the Master Key on the AWS server.
Rather, the user has the Master Key only, and the user needs to perform the whole encryption or decryption method. The advantage of this method is that the user has the Master Key. Therefore, Amazon Web Server has nothing to deal with data and Master Key.
How does the setup of S3 encryption of data work?
The S3 encryption of data works mainly in two ways. Hence, encrypting data on Amazon Web Server is done as S3 encryption object level or S3 encryption bucket level.
The data encryption works the same way for all the objects in the same bucket at the object level. The user needs to set the list of object that needs to be encrypted in the same way.
However, in the S3 encryption of data on bucket level, all the selected buckets are encrypted in the same way.
S3 Encryption FAQs
Why do people choose Amazon Web Server cloud storage for storing their data?
There are many reasons behind it. The user can store a large amount of data, the stored data are safe and secured due to a high level of security encryption, and the sot for this purpose is also moderate.
What are the two main types of S3 encryption of data?
The two main sides of S3 encryption of data are Server Side Encryption and Client-Side Encryption.
What is the main advantage of Client-Side Encryption Master Key Storage in AWS S3 encryption of data?
The main advantage of Client-Side Encryption Master Key Storage in AWS S3 encryption of data is the user has the key, and there is no relation between the user and Amazon Web Server regarding this key.
Amazon S3 encryption of data offers a lot of advantages to the user. AWS is known to store a large amount of data. With the help of proper setup, a user can work with those large numbers of data.
AWS is also known for its availability, reliability, and security in nature for a wide range of end-users. The user can pay a moderately less amount to store data securely. With the help of different levels of security encryption, the user can protect their data.