Windows users are reported to have this weird issue of their headset sound coming through microphone. This is when all the system sound and other audio outputs are directed to the microphone. The problem can be frustrating for the users who regularly use online voice input applications such as discord and online voice chat applications or for streaming content. The most probable reason for this issue is the misconfiguration of the audio settings. Unsupported drivers can also cause this issue due to which the headset microphone can misbehave. Today, we would look at this issue in quite some detail and learn how to fix it.
- 1 Headset sound coming through mic
- 2 Fixes headset sound coming through mic
- 3 Other Fix headset sound coming through microphone
- 4 Hyperx headset sound coming through microphone
- 5 Razor headset sound coming through microphone
- 6 Logitech G230 headset sound coming through mic
- 7 Disabling Stereo mix
- 8 How to fix game headset sound coming through mic
- 9 FAQs Related to Headset Sound Coming Through Mic
- 10 Conclusion
- 11 Trending Now
Headset sound coming through mic
The output audio of the system gets directed to the microphone, and any application that uses the microphone input receives the system audio back as the input. This could destroy the user experience. In this case, the first thing to do is to update the sound drivers so that there are no chances of any device malfunctioning. Then another thing to check here is the system sound settings and running the system troubleshooter to identify and resolve the issues. Also, check the application-specific setting sound settings if the problem persists.
Fixes headset sound coming through mic
Suppose you double-checked everything with the headset hardware, updated all the applications that use the system microphone, and still face this issue. In that case, there are many things you could try if your headset sound is coming through the microphone. Try the following things to resolve the headset sound coming through the mic problem.
Update your audio drivers
Updating your audio drivers can help resolve device malfunctioning and misconfigurations. You could delete your sound drivers and then automatically reboot your system to install the default sound drivers. Still, if the issue remains, it is better to update your drivers through the device manager. Follow the given steps to update your audio drivers and fix the headset sound coming through the mic issue.
- Right click on the start menu.
- Select Device Manager from the menu.
- Device Manger window would appear.
- Scan for Hardware Changes in the Device Manger.
- Under the sound, video and game controller.
- Right click on the audio device and click on properties.
- Under the drivers tab.
- A device driver installer window would open.
- click on ‘ Search Automatically for updated driver software.’
- The process would take some time and would find and install compatible drivers.
Recommended Reading | [Fixed] Microphone Picking Up Output Audio
Ensure that you have an active internet connection when performing the above steps. The Installation process looks across the web for compatible drivers so. It is essential to have an active link to the repositories. If the Device Manager couldn’t find the compatible driver for some reason, you could look across the web to find the driver and install it manually. But always download drivers from a reliable and trusted source as malicious drivers can cause severe damage.
Windows provides troubleshooting wizards that could identify the problems and suggest fixes for them. Running the troubleshooter can help us resolve headset sound coming through microphone issues. Follow the given steps to run the troubleshooter.
- Right-click on the sound icon at the bottom right of the taskbar.
- click on troubleshoot sound problem.
- A troubleshooter window would appear.
- If the troubleshooer suggests to disable sound enhacement, do it.
Hardware and Devices troubleshooter
- Right click on the start button.
- click on Settings.
- Open Update & Security.
- Open the Troubleshoot tab with the wrench icon.
- Under the find and fix other problems.
- Look for Harware and Devices and select it.
- Click on Run the troubleshooter.
- If any issue is found, do as according to the troubleshooter.
Recording Audio troubleshooter
Suppose the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter did not solve the microphone picking up output audio issue. Then try running Recording audio and troubleshooter. Follow the following steps to run the troubleshooter.
- Follow till the step 5 of the previous section.
- look for Recording Audio and select it.
- Click on Run the troubleshooter.
- If any issue is found, resolve accordingly.
Other Fix headset sound coming through microphone
If none of those mentioned above tricks and troubleshooting techniques worked, then you could also try using the
- Right click on the sound icon on the bottom right of taskbar.
- click on sound settings.
- In the right hand side open sound contol panel.
- Under the Recording tab, right click on your microphone device.
- Open properties then open the Listen tab.
- Make sure that the box that says Listen to this device is unchecked.
Hyperx headset sound coming through microphone
Hyperx is a relatively famous brand for gaming peripherals. The Hyperx headsets are used by a lot of people throughout the world. Gamers and Streamers are the primary consumers of Hyperx products. Recently, users reported having trouble with the headset sound coming through the microphone. This is a problem for the hyperx products, but the consumers of other brands are also facing the same problem. If the approaches mentioned above didn’t work, try disabling the control panel’s stereo mix option. The steps are discussed below.
Razor headset sound coming through microphone
Like the hyperx, Razor is another famous brand for gaming peripherals, most of the time, all the devices are plug and play and work right out of the box, but sometimes abnormal situations like headset sound coming through the mic can occur. This issue can be resolved by disabling the Stereo mix from the control panel. Steps to do so are mentioned in the later section.
Logitech G230 headset sound coming through mic
Logitech is probably the most trusted and popular manufacturer of computer peripherals. The Logitech products are highly finished and well tested before making them to consumer markets. Consumers are reported to have issues with a headset model G230, in which the headset sound redirects to the mic. To fix this issue, follow all the fixing approaches suggested above, and if the problem persists, try disabling the stereo mix as suggested below.
Disabling Stereo mix
Try the following steps to disable the stereo mix and resolve the issue for your Hyperx, Razor, or Logitech headsets.
- Right click on start menu.
- Open settings.
- Open System settings.
- In the Sound tab, under Related settings.
- Click on Sound control panel.
- Under the Recording tab of the panel window.
- Disable the Stereo mix if it is endabled by right clicking on it.
How to fix game headset sound coming through mic
If you’re playing games on your system and all the game audio is coming through the mic, then the whole gaming experience can get shattered. Try the following things to fix the game sound coming through the mic.
- Every game has different audio settings, nagivate to the games’s audio settings and check if there’s explictit option for the default output set it to your headset.
- If there’s no explicit setting for a default audio, restore the games’s default settings, to reverse any miconfiguration.
- Try disabling stereo mix (suggested above).
- If problem persistes, try all the approaches mentioned.
- Try switching the game audio output setting to mono insted of stereo.
FAQs Related to Headset Sound Coming Through Mic
Can this issue also happen in wireless headsets?
If the system settings are misconfigured, this issue can also happen on Bluetooth headsets.
Do headsets have two separate jacks?
Most Modern headsets have only a single 3.5mm jack used for input and output audio.
What does Hyperx Software do?
The Hyperx software is used to set the RGB coloring profiles of the Hyperx peripherals.
System sound coming through the microphone is a standard error that any user can experience. The issue can be problematic and annoying if not fixed on time. There can be an arbitrary number of reasons for this issue to show up. Today, In this article, we provided you with enough information and methods to rectify the headset sound coming through the mic problem on your own.