GPSVC is the short form for Group Policy Client Service. It is a DLL type of file. This Windows service application file comes in handy for configuring the settings which have been modified by the administrator or by some other user and the configured settings need to be applied in the system. It can be disabled or stopped later on.
How to download GPSVC file
- Open the below link:
- Click on the Download gpsvc.dll Button.
- It may prompt you to check the Captcha verification button.
- After this, you can choose the required version of the official Microsoft release of this file.
- If your system is of 64 bit, then extract or copy the both files downloaded in this location: C:\Windows\System64\ folder.
- If your system is of 32 bit, then use “32” inplace of “64”.
How to Update the GPSVC file
- You can use the above method to download a latest version of the DLL file.
- After downloading it, extract the new dll file in the location: C:\Windows\System32\folder
- Next, choose to “Select Folder” and proceed as usual.
- When it asks to replace the previous existing file or to skip the extraction, choose to replace the previous existing file.
Fix the GPSVC connection failed issue
The below methods can be implemented in resolving the nuisance of GPSVC-connection failed:
Using the Registry Editor
- Open the Run Command by searching in the Search bar of the task bar.
- The shortcut to open the Run Command is: Windows Key + R.
- Type “regedit” on it and hit Enter button.
- If a window pops up and asks for providing the permissions to make changes to this computer, select YES.
- Navigate through the following path in the Register Editor:
- Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Svchost
- Right click on an empty white space, which will open a menu. Select NEW from it.
- From the new list, choose Multi-String Value.
- Rename this newly created Value as “GPSvcGroup”.
- Double click on this file.
- A new window named as Edit Multi String will appear on your screen.
- For Value data, Type the below text in the given white space.
- GPSvc . When done, click OK.
- The Edit Multi String window will disapper. At the left side panel, right click on the Svchost folder.
- Select New -> key
- The newly created folder will be named as “New Key #1”. Rename it to “GPSvcGroup”.
- Double click on that folder. It will be an empty one.
- Right click on the blank white area, from New, move to “DWORD (32-bit) Value”.
- Rename the New Value as AuthenticationCapabilities.
- Double click on it and change the Value data to 3020. Note to keep the base as Hexadecimal. Choose OK then.
- Now, right click again on the blank space, choose New, then “DWORD (32-bit) Value”. Rename it as CoInitializeSecurityParam.
- Double click on this newly created to open the Edit DWORD (32-bit) Value window, where you can modify the values and numbers.
- Change the “Value data” to 1. Be sure to keep the Hexadecimal radio checked. Hit Ok button.
- Close the Register Editor by using the exit button available at the top right corner.
- Restart or reboot your system.
- Check if the error is rectified or not.
Perform an SFC scan using Command Prompt
Open the Command Prompt with administrative privileges.
Type the below code to perform a full system scan:
Hit Enter, wait for the scan to complete.
Can I delete the gpsvc.log file?
As the file just provides information on where the Group Policy Services are needed to be applied, it may not create much harm in your system.
If it creates any errors, you can restore it from the recycle bin.
How to fix-GPSVC service failed to sign in access is denied?
- Go to the Recycle Bin and restore the gpsvc.dll file.
- Open the Command Prompt and do an SFC scan.
- Scan your system for malwares or virus.
- Use the Device Manager to update the drivers.
GPSVC file high CPU usage
It happens when the Network Share Mapping script is unable to execute its task well and it executes alongside the Group Policy Client file.
Try disabling the Network Share Mapping script in your domain accounts.
How long does “gpsvc please wait” take?
It takes nearly 15 to 25 minutes to show you the home screen from the blue screen of death.
FAQs on GPSVC
Can non-administrators also log in when the GPSVC connection failed?
No, only administrators of the system are allowed to enter inside of the system which has improper GPSVC-connection.
What are the reasons that cause GPSVC connection failure?
1. The shutdown was not proper.
2. Sudden shut down by a power cut or low battery.
3. Corrupted registry.
4. Improper restart of the system.
What does “please wait for GPSVC” mean?
It means that the system is unable to Turn ON as some crucial files were not able to load properly and will take some time in loading. To fix this, try:
1. Open the Microsoft Edge app and clear the browsing data, cache, and other extensions.
2. Create a new user account for your computer and try to log in to that user account.
3. Try switching to a better internet connection.
Is GPSVC necessary?
Yes, it is one of the crucial applications that runs on the background of your device. It aids in cross-checking the user’s configurations related to the Group Policy-Objects and similar policies.
Rectifying the issue of the GPS-VC file is a simple and easy task. You can ping us anytime for any other queries by using the comment box given at the bottom of the page.