The keystone mwbsys is a domain owned by a company named Malware Bytes. This company makes software products that can advert viruses, malware, and other unusual activities that can harm your device.
The keystone mwbsys is a legal domain that takes data from your device for the validation of the license keys of the user.
Though this is a legit domain, there have been many problems and errors while using this updated version of Malwarebytes during that time. We will discuss everything about keystone mwbsys, how it works, what it does, is it good or bad, what were the user’s opinions and how to uninstall it.
- 1 Keystone mwbsys
- 2 For what do they monitor our data?
- 3 Why does the browser gets blocked
- 4 When does the firewall marks an application or file as harmful
- 5 How malware can take our information
- 6 Which version of Malwarebytes has this error
- 7 Dissatisfaction of the users:
- 8 Can we check what data is been sent by when the firewall is blocked
- 9 How to fix this issue:
- 10 0.0.0.0 keystone.mwbsys.com and 127.0.0.1 keystone.mwbsys.com:
- 11 FAQs regarding keystone mwbsys:
- 12 Conclusion:
- 13 Trending Right Now
In some software bought by paying, and is common nowadays, licensing and activation are done. The keystone mwbsys collects data on IP address, license, product version, OS, etc., to check the compliance with their licensing. They have also stated that they do not collect any private information from regular users. But the firewall blocking software has a different story to say.
This is available in the paid version of Malwarebytes only; Keystone mwbsys is not applicable for the free version.
For what do they monitor our data?
They monitor our data very strictly to get to know the Malwarebytes installed in an official one. The pirated versions do not run on the systems. This also helps in searching that more than two devices do not use the same license key. This is done by recording the license key from your computer, the IP address, version of the system, OS type, and to name a few.
This information is taken from various parts of your system, like other files and folders, and even from the computer settings.
Why does the browser gets blocked
There are two reasons for the firewall to block your inline search and another online-related process.
- If you have not downloaded the Malware byte from the official webpage, and used some other other site to get the anti-virus software.
- From one of the official versions of the MAlwarebyte, there is a version which takes data from the user’s device and sends it to the domains. There are three important domains that receive this data:
These three can be a reason for blocking your internet services by the firewall, as these domains gather private information without the user’s consent.
When does the firewall marks an application or file as harmful
Any one of the below three may be the reason why the access has been blocked:
- The content is harmful.
- If it is not harmful, then it is used directly or indirectly by a malware or virus.
- The data and information are sent secretly from the device to a domain.
The reasons for any file to be detected as malicious are the following:
- It has (possibly) harmful content
- It is not harmful, but is either used by malware or similar files are.
How malware can take our information
In the path C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\, there will be files opened in HTML, named as hosts. Delete other empty hosts files, scan for malicious entry in the other files, as this can be used for hijacking the DNS entries, which will lead to the opening of malicious sites, but not the original one.
Which version of Malwarebytes has this error
The 2.1.8 version of Malwarebytes has this feature of keystone mwbsys. The developer’s side has argued that it is not spying on your private information. It is just taking instructions and receiving data from the software Malwarebytes of your system. They have named it a licensing system, as this also has the task of checking the license key.
Dissatisfaction of the users:
The users have phone-called customer care for getting a solution for this and have also taken this issue in the forum.
They have constantly been asking for a solution, but the developer’s side do not have any fixed solution for the Malware Bytes of version 2.1.8
The developer’s side has stated that the keystone mwbsys is safe and does not do any illegal activities.
But the firewall alert pops up when some file or application is leaking privacy and personal data. This will also stop the user from accessing the internet services so that the personal information does not get circulated.
When a user said about this firewall issue, the developers accepted their lie and said that the data taken from users will not be given to any company but will be kept safe and protected.
The vexed users have then commented that they are opting out of an alternative application to the Malwarebytes.
Can we check what data is been sent by when the firewall is blocked
The users can also check which device data has been sent if they accept and proceed to use the Malware Bytes application by blocking out the firewall. You will use the log files to see it.
How to fix this issue:
There are three ways by which keystone mwbsys error can be fixed:
- Get the refund from the paid subscription for the malware bytes of if you are using version 2.1.4 or 2.1.8. Uninstall the software by moving into the control panel, then do a full system scan for virus and malware. Move to an alternate application like Hitman Pro, etc.
- Degrade or upgrade your Malwarebytes application to some other version. You can also try to uninstall the old version and install the latest version.
- Allow the application to send personal data of the device to keystone mwbsys by blocking the firewall.
0.0.0.0 keystone.mwbsys.com and 127.0.0.1 keystone.mwbsys.com:
If your browser is blocking to access the keystone server and is unable to contact the server license, then you will have to move to the following path in your file explorer:
Before opening the “Host” file document in notepad, make sure that in the properties of this file, the Read-only mode is disabled.
Open the file named HOST and remove the following two lines:
Host data: 127.0.0.1 keystone.mwbsys.com
Host data: 0.0.0.0 telemetry.malwarebytes.com
These host data are not able to access the servers properly. Disabling these will help reaccess the server, and there will be no change in the working of the MalwareBytes application.
FAQs regarding keystone mwbsys:
What is keystone mwbsys?
It is a domain server that collects the necessary data to check if you are not using a pirated version and have a proper license key for the anti-virus application Malwarebytes.
How to download and install Malware bytes?
Go to the official page: https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download.
Click on the download button.
After the file gets downloaded,
How to uninstall Malwarebytes.
Open the Control Panel, and choose to uninstall a program.
Fetch for this application, right-click on it, and select uninstall.
Click on Yes.
What are the alternatives to Malwarebytes?
1. Hitman Pro
5. Spybot Search and Destroy
If you face the same issue mentioned above, you can choose to use another version of Malware Bytes or choose another alternative.
If you have any queries on this topic or any other topic, you can ping us by using the comment box available at the bottom of the page.