Encountered an error: TPM is not usable in your system during encryption. Do not worry, we will explain in detail what is TPM, what causes TPM is not usable, and how to resolve this error.
- 1 Definition of TPM
- 2 Applications of TPM
- 3 How to fix error: TPM is not usable
- 4 Security features offered by TPM
- 5 Where it can be used
- 6 How to open TPM Manager on your Local Computer
- 7 Fixing TPM device not detected and TPM is not Usable
- 8 Should I enable firmware TPM?
- 9 Windows 10 compatible TPM cannot be found
- 10 FAQs Related to TPM is not usable
- 11 Winding up
- 12 Trending Right Now
Definition of TPM
TPM – Trusted Platform Module, is a processor found in the hardware of the system, attached to the motherboard by soldering. It is a chip to enhance the security of your device. This secure cryptoprocessor helps to restrict the usage of cryptographic keys. They have numerous security steps so that the hackers cannot tamper with the computers. Your identity has been protected all thanks to this chip. One of the most frequent errors which are caused is tpm is not usable.
Applications of TPM
- Secure storage.
- Cryptographic keys and hashes.
- Validation of Operating System is done by this.
- Helps to initiate a rollback to a known well condition.
- Significantly reduces the hackers to attack your device.
- It helps in the proper booting and rebooting.
How to fix error: TPM is not usable
After updating your system, it may show TPM is not usable. The reason is simple. The new version of TPM is not installed in your system and you have to remove the old version of TPM from your system. For doing this. There are a few more reasons that can cause a “TPM is not usable” error. Follow the below steps:
- On the start icon at the bottom left, do right click.
- From the menu, click on Device Manager.
- Click on the “Security Device” to enlarge it.
- Trusted Platform Module 1.2 will be visible now. Choose uninstall after right clicking on it.
- Exit the panel of Device Manager. After restarting your system, the new and updated version of TPM will be downloaded and installed automatically.
You can try fixing the error of tpm is not usable in the BIOS mode:
- Hit the F2 button to enter into the System Setup or BIOS Setup mode.
- If TPM is not present under Security, turn off the system, and dis-connect the battery.
- Discharge static power by clicking the shut down button for more than a minute.
- Connect the battery and other adapters, then turn on the computer.
- Enter the BIOS mode again and check for TPM settings and enable it.
If you are using a TPM that is not from the Microsoft corporation, then there will be an error of TPM is not usable. The system will not be able to identify the default TPM.
TPM may be turned off on your computer, so you may need to turn it ON back. Follow the below steps:
- In the run application, type :”tpm.msc”.
- There will ba a pane named as Action, choose Turn TPM On to display the Turn on the TPM Security Hardware document.
- Choose Restart or Shutdown, then follow the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface screen prompts. the system then restarts, but advance to logging in to Windows, you will be asked to accept the re-configuration of the TPM. This is to confirm that the user has physical access to the system and that malicious software is not trying to make changes to the TPM.
Security features offered by TPM
- Isolated power rails for non- voltage tampering.
- Non package or die identification.
- Internal generation of clock.
- Crypto execution based on independent data.
- Randomized math operations.
- Internally encrypted memories.
- Agile shield over the whole chip.
- Consistent checkings on the internal states.
- Secure test methods.
Where it can be used
There are numerous areas where this discrete chip is applicable to be used. Some of the areas are aerospace, storage, cloud servers, IoT applications, automotive, smart building, two and three-factor authentication, VPNs, switches routers, and many more.
How to open TPM Manager on your Local Computer
Open taskbar and fetch Run application. In the search box, type “tpm.msc”. Then hit the OK button, the window of TPM Manager on your local computer, which will show the properties of the current TPM, if available.
Fixing TPM device not detected and TPM is not Usable
You may need to downgrade your system in order to resolve this issue or you may need to turn on the TPM in the settings.
Should I enable firmware TPM?
If your system has encryption keys that need to be protected, then it is suggested that you enable this firmware. TPM aids in enhancing protection by providing cryptographic functions and monitoring the system’s footprint.
Windows 10 compatible TPM cannot be found
This happens when the default TPM of Microsoft is disabled in the settings intentionally or unintentionally. You can fix it in the settings. Another reason is using a TPM which is not provided by Microsoft. This can also lead to the error of “TPM is not usable”.
FAQs Related to TPM is not usable
What causes “tpm is not usable”?
The version may be of the lower level (1.2) or the tpm may be disabled in the settings, or you may have to remove the tpm which you installed from third parties
What does TPM do?
The full form for TPM is Trusted Platform Module, which is simply a small chip used inside a computer. The sole purpose is to store the artifacts which will help the user to log into the platform.
Can one configure TPM in the Windows home version?
No, TPM can be configured in Windows pro and ultimate, but not in the Home version. The reason is that the Home version is mainly for the common public, who do not have enough knowledge on how to manipulate this chip. Any wrong mistake can lead to wiping out of the whole memory and data.
How many versions of TPMs are available:
There are two versions of TPM available. They are 1.2 and 2.0, most of the modern systems and devices now use the 2.0 version as this has more benefits and advantages than its predecessor.
How to enable TPM on my laptop?
You may need to install a TPM chip inside the core of your system. Then enable it in your BIOS Utility- Advanced Mode.
We hope that you get here what you were looking for. If not, you can read the forums below, which are related to this topic.